Celebrate creativity with free activities during Culture Days
More than 1,500 free events and activities will take place in more than 150 communities across Ontario to celebrate the 8th anniversary of Culture Days Sept. 29 to Oct.1 – including 21 activities that are planned right here in Kingston!
Here are just some of the free and fun local Culture Days activities running Sept. 29 to Oct.1:
- Mosiac Mural – Canada’s 150 Celebration – Saturday, Sept. 30 at Springer Market Square; and Sunday, Oct. 1 at Kingston Community Health Centre. Make your mark by helping to paint and create Kingston’s newest piece of public art.
- Play In Clay – Saturday, Sept. 30 at The Tett Centre. Relive memories from the movie “Ghost” when you try your hand at pottery with Kingston Potters’ Guild.
- Origami Cranes for Peace with Kerri – Saturday, September 30 at the Isabel Bader Centre. De-stress while learning the ancient art of origami.
- Transit Pop Ups – Saturday, Sept. 30 throughout Kingston. Get onboard Kingston Transit and discover local performing artists entertaining during your riding and at select transit hubs. Expect the unexpected.
- Random Acts of Poetry – Sunday, Oct. 1 at Memorial Centre Farmer’s Market. During the market’s annual Oktoberfest celebration, teams of poets will randomly share poems and encourage vendors and shoppers to participate in the magic of poetry.
See all the activities happening in Kingston at HERE and plan your Culture Days weekend using the Bright Spots Schedule, presented by Sun Life Financial.
“Part of what makes me proud to live in Kingston is our vibrant arts and culture community. Culture Days not only recognizes the artists and groups that help to weave together the fabric of this community, but it also encourages the public to roll up their sleeves, get involved, learn about their neighbours, and to interact with each other in an extremely meaningful way!” says Bob Giarda, Culture Days community organizer and cultural services communications officer.
Culture Days, an annual celebration open to all Canadians, will be celebrated across the country, with thousands of free events and activities from a wide range of disciplines including: visual arts, music, dance, theatre, architecture, heritage, film and video, literature, craft, culinary arts and new media. Culture Days provides a unique opportunity to discover the world of these outstanding artists & creators at work in their community. Each year in Ontario alone, Culture Days attracts over 500,000 attendees and 135,000 artists, workers, and volunteers in over 150 cities and towns.
As a leading national voice for the active and engaged cultural life of all Canadians, Culture Days provides support, tools, and resources to a wide variety of artists and cultural organizations to help them unite the country through engagement in culture.
For more details about Culture Days in Ontario please visit online. Connect to Culture Days on Facebook, Flickr and YouTube and join the conversation @ONCultureDays.
Culture Days is made possible by the City of Kingston and the many arts and cultural volunteer organizations and individuals in the municipality.
Ontario Culture Days is grateful for the support of the Government of Ontario, Ontario Arts Council, OLG and TD Bank Group.
For more information about Culture Days activities in Kingston or to coordinate interviews with local representatives, please contact:
Bob Giarda, communications officer, City of Kingston email@example.com 613-546-4291, ext. 1363
For more information about what’s happening across Ontario, photographs or to coordinate interviews with provincial spokespeople, please contact:
Susan Smythe-Bishop, Touchwood PR